So what is a 'Spanish style wedding'?
Well, even the wedding traditions are not the same across Spain, but here are a few.
- ... are almost exclusively celebrated on a Saturday. Over the last years, a small minority chooses a Friday.
- ... are predominantly held in the Roman Catholic church, which is the principal religion in the country, and the population is more religious than in most other European countries.
- ... are very 'dressed up'. It's unthinkable to go to a wedding in jeans or any other casual attire.
- ... are often preceded by a procession with musicians playing the Spanish flute.
- ... often have 'tracas', a type of very loud 'firework' on the ground.
- ... have the cutting of the cake with a sword.
Contrary to the perception in many other countries, paella is not a part of the wedding dinner.
Related pages on our site or useful links to other sites :
Welcome in Spain (page 28-13)
Getting ready for your wedding (page 28-14)
Enjoy an unforgettable wedding (page 28-15)
Welcome to Spain (page 29-14)